What to expect from your Contractor doing Heating System Maintenance
Having the right contractor can make all the difference in being sure your heating system works better, lasts longer, saves you money, and improves your comfort. They can help you understand the condition of your system and will share with you the results of equipment testing. Your heating system should have a maintenance tune-up done annually so it performs at peak efficiency. During that maintenance, the contractor’s technician should perform the following:
- Visually inspect the furnace, flue line, and ductwork
- Adjust thermostat calibration
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Measure voltage and current on all motors
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Measure for correct air flow
- Check all system controls
- Clean and adjust the blower components
- Clean or change the air filter
- Check all gas/oil connections and pressure
- Clean condensate drains
- Check burner combustion/draft and the heat exchangers
- Check and clean indoor/outdoor coils for leaks
- Check static pressure on the system.
It’s smart to schedule a maintenance inspection, even if the system appears to be working properly. It’s just like your car, if not maintained and taken care of, it can stop working when you least expect it or need it most.
Ask the expert
Question: Why should a professional install my hot water heater when we can do it ourselves?
Answer: Installing a hot water heater is much more than just attaching a water line. First, you have to select the correct model (size, fuel source, venting, fast recovery, energy efficiency, and anticipated water demand need to be considered). A professional contractor has all the proper tools and materials required to do the job right the first time (not ten trips to the hardware store). They also know the local codes and city regulations concerning these installations. And, importantly, they are bonded and licensed, to ensure and protect your family’s safety and health.
Also, consider that you may not even need a new hot water heater! The experience of a professional contractor can save you money by determining if it can be fixed instead of replaced.
A+ service. I highly recommend these folks. They definitely focus on customer satisfaction. They are all extremely polite and friendly to talk to.Matt Heeren